Thursday, October 18, 2012

131 DRIVE IN THEATER, Plainwell Michigan USA

131 DRIVE IN THEATER, Plainwell Michigan USA Tube. Duration : 2.25 Mins.


Another clip from my Public Access series OUTDOOR MOOVIES. This Plainwell, Michigan site reminds me of a childhood incident that I experienced. When I was 9 or 10 years old, on the way up north or returning back to Lansing, my mom, older brother, and I stopped by a BIG BOY Restaurant that just happened to sit next door to what appeared to be an abandoned drive in theater. I was permitted, after begging, to quickly check it out. I litterally got chills up and down my spine as I passed by the ticket booth. The lot was completely filled with old automobiles. Each vehicle was parked on the ramps, facing the screen. Someone had taken the time to put the in car speakers onto all the nearby windows. I'm not sure if this was an active salvage yard or simply a junk yard full of abandoned cars and trucks. Whatever it was, it was extreamly weird and as I made my way around the boarded up snack bar and hurried back to my family, these images were burned into my brain and later was the genesis of my curiosity that eventually led me to documenting these sites. When we found the 131, which had been turned into a salvage yard, it was a "must shoot"! No poles or speakers, but as you'll see, some cars are facing the screen. We applaud the owner of PERKS AUTO for keeping so much of the historic structures in tact. perhaps someday the 131 could spring back to life. It wouldn't be the first time. COMMENTS welcome, as always. Thank you for viewing ! By the way, a friend of mine has taken on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment